Friday 30 April 2010

The Year of 3D


That is it, I'm at breaking point. News has been released of confirmation that Ridley Scott will be using 3D for his ALIEN prequels. Yes you heard it right two ALIEN prequels

3D is becoming the bane of my life, since
Avatar was released last year in December, directors can't seem to handle the idea of directing a movie without it. It's just a way to spruce up your movie, bring audiences in because your films content lacks any original depth. I'm all for 3D in family films, the odd
sci-fi film (NOT ALIEN) and maybe even the occasional horror. But it does not, for a fact, need to be included in every major blockbuster.

Maybe I'm coming off a bit strong and maybe I'm overreacting, but the fact is
ALIEN is a masterpiece; to return to the original story and uncover the origins of creature itself is to unravel the mystery behind it all, which made ALIEN so haunting and terrifying in the first place. Then to top it off Ridley has decided to direct it all in 3D.

I am a huge fan of the
ALIEN series, especially the 1979 film so I was excited and apprehensive at the thought of a prequel but I trusted in Ridley's artistic vision to pull this idea through. But on hearing that he
would be using 3D I just can't help but lose all faith. Using 3D will mean that he will probably using no old-school techniques, which means lots of horrible evil CGI, which frankly I am gutted about. Maybe he will use CGI correctly and not over do it and maybe he will use some old-school techniques but I really can't see that happening. However to go back on my words, CGI has improved enormously over the last 30 years so used in the correct way we could be left with some stunning effects, used badly and this could all be too much for my little brain to handle.

The closer it gets to the film being made and released, the more my opinion is likely to change. As soon as I see a screen-shot I know I will be peeing my panties. I just pray he is going to return to his original methods and produce another timeless movie, it doesn't have to top his Oscar winning
ALIEN, it just has to do itself justice for all those die hard ALIEN fans out there.

-Jenny.

No comments:

Post a Comment