Friday 14 May 2010

Dear John


So, I got 'dragged' along to this romantic drama. I saw the trailer for it while I was waiting to see
Shutter Island. As soon as that Snow Patrol song kicked in, my eyes started welling up, and I could feel a flood of tears coming on. Yes I am a huge cry baby when it comes to love stories. I knew that if I went any where near it, I would spend the whole day balling my eyes out. But a part of me was secretly desperate to see it. I guess I just crumbled.

From the adaption of Nicholas Sparks' novel of the same name (who also wrote The Notebook) comes a story of a young couple who fall in love in a matter of weeks and become separated by war. John played by Channing Tatum who is one of the most boring actors I have encountered falls in love with big eyed Savannah played by Amanda Seyfried.

I couldn't say for the life of me that I immediately fell in love with either of the characters. There was of course nothing special about them or their union. By the end I realised I didn't really particularly liked either of them. There was nothing quirky or original, they were just another good looking couple who had a lot of lust for each other. As the film went on it came to my attention that I was just more concerned with John's autistic father who is played by Richard Jenkins. He played the role brilliantly I may add, and Savannah's understanding of the disability was moving and well acted.

But the plot seemed jumbled and meandered from one thing to the next. There was no real progression just lots of jumping around and I started to wonder what year it was...The Notebook I loved, I enjoyed every minute of it, it was such a beautifully told story with wonderful characters and beautiful sets. Dear John lacked any endearing romance for me, it was full of clichés and had very little honesty and passion.

Dear John's overdose of lachrymose romance came to a very abrupt end, it was as if they had run out of film and couldnt be arsed to put another reel on. If a film leaves you thinking, 'was that it?' It's probably not worth seeing.

-Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment